Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Wednesday, July 1, 2015

Challenge Completed!

I finished my challenge!! I'm SO freaking excited. Especially because I felt like it was quite the undertaking and I'm not known for finishing challenges. But, I really did it. I read a book a week for an entire year. And, in that year, we've bought a house, moved, painted every room in that house, and completed all of the requirements for a foster care license. Yes, I'm patting my own back.  I wish I had a cookie I could give myself.

My goal was really just to READ again. I used to read, a little bit. Maybe a book a month or so... sometimes less, never more. But I wanted to fall in love with reading and really become a READER. I've realized what type of book really grabs me, which types challenge me and when to give up and just put a book down never to pick it up again. But mostly, I just love reading now. I love talking about books and planning my next library trips and getting lost in a great story. I definitely watch less TV now (although TV watching is still a very large part of my life, not going to lie...) and I find I feel more relaxed because I take the time to SIT or be in the bathtub and just be present with a book and not have my phone nearby or anyone else around to talk to. It's peaceful.

I'm still thinking about my goals for this upcoming year. I think rather than a number, I'll make a specific list that I make sure I complete because my one complaint with this challenge was that I often didn't push myself to read something out of my comfort zone because the goal was to just READ and completing one book a week didn't lend to many slower paced books. I still haven't read the Harry Potter series (I can't get through book one - what is my problem? What am I missing? I'm stuck on page 100 or so...) and I've never read "Anne of Green Gables" or "Little Women" and I'd like to reread "To Kill A Mockingbird" (I think maybe I read it in high school?). Anyway, I'll have to come up with something to keep the momentum going!

Here is the list of all 52 books I read during this challenge in order:

  1. Where’d You Go Bernadette?
  2. Miss Pettigrew Lives for a Day
  3. The Rosie Project
  4. We Were Liars
  5. Me Before You 
  6. Wonder
  7. Eleanor & Park
  8. Insurgent
  9. Room
  10. Attachments
  11. Still Alice
  12. Delancey 
  13. The All-Girl Filling Station's Last Reunion 
  14. The Farm 
  15. The Husband’s Secret 
  16. The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Nighttime 
  17. Sea of Tranquility 
  18. Station Eleven 
  19. Bossypants 
  20. The Fever 
  21. We Need to Talk About Kevin 
  22. Christmas Jars
  23. Christmas Jars: A Reunion 
  24. The Impossible Lives of Greta Wells 
  25. Everything I Never Told You 
  26. Outlander
  27. The Children Act 
  28. The Book of Unknown Americans 
  29. Not That Kind of Girl 
  30. Big Little Lies 
  31. I’ll Give You the Sun 
  32. All the Light We Cannot See 
  33. Defending Jacob 
  34. The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie
  35. This is Where I Leave You 
  36. Tattoos on the Heart 
  37. Reconstructing Amelia 
  38. Leaving Time 
  39. The Storied Life of A.J. Fikry 
  40. A Little Life 
  41. Brain on Fire
  42. A Child Called It
  43. Can’t We Talk About Something More Pleasant? 
  44. The Lost Boy 
  45. The Light Between Oceans 
  46. The Silent Wife 
  47. Dark Places 
  48. The Selection 
  49. The Elite 
  50. The One 
  51. Our Souls at Night 
  52. Food 
Tomorrow I'll come back and tell you my top 10 favorite books from the challenge!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...